- Temperance. Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation.
- Silence. Speak not but what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation.
- Order. Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.
- Resolution. Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.
- Frugality. Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e., waste nothing.
- Industry. Lose no time; be always employ’d in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions.
- Sincerity. Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly, and, if you speak, speak accordingly.
- Justice. Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty.
- Moderation. Avoid extremes; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.
- Cleanliness. Tolerate no uncleanliness in body, cloaths, or habitation.
- Tranquillity. Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.
- Chastity. Rarely use venery but for health or offspring, never to dullness, weakness, or the injury of your own or another’s peace or reputation.
- Humility. Imitate Jesus and Socrates.
The above are Benjamin Franklin’s 13 virtues. After several iterations I’ve arrived at what I think is the cleanest implementation of Ben’s virtues as an OmniFocus project.
I’ve placed this project at the bottom of my Navigation Folder which is at the top of my OmniFocus projects list; above the Virtues project are Vision, Land & Sea, and Life Goals.
To create this yourself:
- Make a new flagged, Single Actions project.
- Enter each virtue as a new task.
- Set the defer date of the first task to today.
- Set the defter date of each following task to the first day of the week following the previous task.
- Select all tasks and set them to repeat every 13 weeks on every day of the week.
This results in each virtue appearing at the top of my task manager at the beginning of every day for 1 week; at the end of each day I reflect on whether I have fulfilled the virtue and then check the task off. Then the next virtue appears every day at the start of the next week. And so, on. After 13 weeks, the first virtue will appear again and the cycle continues. With 52 weeks in the year, the cycle will be repeated 4 times.